Sunday, June 01, 2008

This tipping situation has gotten out of control

I just learned yesterday that one is supposed to tip the person that cuts one's hair (this affects me little, since I haven't been in to get a haircut for something like five years--I save money by trimming it myself. Yep, that's right).

Sometimes in life we pay a person for a service. We have an agreed upon price for this service ahead of time. Once the service is performed, payment is made. And in 21st century America, it is usually the provider of the service that sets the price. Rarely does one go to, say, a barber, and negotiate the price of a haircut: the price is set ahead of time, and the customer is expected to pay the set price. The price that is set by the provider of the service.

Why on earth are we supposed to give additional money, more money for the service than was agreed upon?

This is getting a little out of control. I tip waiters because that is what is done. I tip bartenders because that is what was done. If I get a pizza delivered, I tip the person that brings the pizza to me. Honestly, I rarely eat or drink out because it is so much more expensive than eating or drinking in, and the tipping just adds to that.

All this tipping is just getting a bit much for me.

2 comments:

  1. What I have heard is that is the person cutting your hair owns their own business you don't need to tip, since obviously they are getting your money. But at places like Cost Cutters, the stylist might only be making minimum wage or a little more and work for tips like a waiter/waitress. If they do a good job, tip them. Thats what I do, but it is worth it to me to have a good hair cut or style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:53 PM

    Partly is absolutely correct. A friend of mine is a stylst at a "value-priced" salon. The stylists make a small commission on retail sales (gel, shampoo, etc.), but rarely make even close to $10 an hour. They tend to pay their bills on their rent on their salary and live on their tips. Haircut prices haven't been rising with the cost of living, plus everyone wants a coupon these days (which the stylist doesn't get credit for), so the stylists really need that extra dollar or two if you can afford it. Seriously, it makes a big difference to them.

    ReplyDelete