Monday, December 22, 2008

McDonald's in Wadena, MN

Why have a blog if you can't publicly complain about bad trips to stores and restaurants? Here's the email I sent to McDonald's.

On Sunday, December 21st, I stopped by the McDonald’s in Wadena, MN a little before 7:00 p.m. It was about 10 minutes before we were able to order, and then after ordering, it was 10-20 minutes before we got our food. But a long wait was only part of the problem.

While standing waiting for our food, another customer came to order, and explicitly said he had a large order. Yet he got all of his food and was out the door long before I got my food. I didn’t have a complicated order (two fries, a shake, an iced latte), so I didn’t really understand why a customer who came in long after I did got his food long before I did.

I did finally get my food, and I asked somebody an employee why a customer that came in after me got his food after I did. I did not get any real attention or concern, and certainly not an apology. The employee (who may have been a manager, I’m not sure) quickly gave a meaningless explanation then walked away.

Furthermore, my brother made an order that the employees in McDonald’s forgot. So he was standing there (with a very simply order: burger, fries, drink) waiting for an order that nobody was bothering to make. Many other customers were getting their orders while his order was forgotten about. And when he finally asked, he was told they lost/forgot his receipt, then quickly put together his order. They also did not apologize to him for the wait. In fact, at no point during this trip did any employee show any concern for us.

This was a day that we spend six hours in a car visiting people for Christmas. While I stood in McDonald’s for about a half an hour, my pregnant wife sat in the car and my two year old son cried. We thought we could stop and get a quick bite; we didn’t expect to add a half hour to our trip.

I will certainly never stop at the McDonald’s in Wadena again: the service was excessively slow and the employees were excessively indifferent. But in the future, if I want to stop and get something to eat, I’ll probably choose any other fast food restaurant over McDonald’s (which is probably best: my family is vegetarian, and while some other fast food restaurants offer sandwiches for vegetarians, McDonald’s does not). A long wait and poor treatment just isn’t worth it.

UPDATE: McDonalds' took effort to contact me and offer to rectify the situation. Thanks for the response.

9 comments:

  1. You are all over the emails to crappy franchises lately.

    Sorry to hear about the experience. Reminds me of my experience in Durham where they forgot my fries...had to drive back to the store (10 minute drive) then go inside, explain the problem, and then not even get an apology.

    This is why I will always choose Burger King over McDonalds if given the choice. However, the Cannon Falls McDonalds is very good with customer service, being friendly, etc. So that one gets my business every now and then on my way to the Twin Cities.

    Any word from Wal-Mart in response to those emails?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walmart hasn't contacted me. McDonald's contacted me very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did McDonalds say? Apology?

    Would love to hear the details.

    Makes sense. McDonalds has actual competition. Wal-Mart while it may appear to have competition (Target, etc.) really covers a large demographic that doesn't shop at places like Target. Wal-Mart doesn't care about you and they don't care about your "experience" What is losing one customer when you essentially control the "bargain" shopping game.

    You should now join me in my Wal-Mart strike (shouldn't be too hard since you shop at Target more I suspect).

    ReplyDelete
  4. McDonalds probably heard about the Wal Mart incident and are standing up for their partners. Now you're on there grid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. typical mcdonalds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:26 PM

    I work at a McDonalds, and I agree, even the younger employees are treated horribly. Today I hit my head on the corner of a McFlurry stirring Machine thing and when I said Ouch they said stop complaining and get back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:28 AM

    Are you guys serious????
    Or is this joke?
    .......WOW
    I think it may be time to take off the diapers ppl and grow up. Companies operated by teenagers are not going to care about you and your ridiculous to think they will.........wow i dont even care enough to keep typing. You guys are pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:56 AM

    I second the comments about McDonalds and not having vegetarian cuisine as other ones do!
    Also, earlier tonight, January 15, 2013, I stopped at the Wadena McDonalds and bought 2 apple
    Pies and 2 cherry pies... All 4 pies were actually burnt! They were awful! They actually tasted
    burned also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:19 PM

    All fast food in Wadena is slow.. just so ya know..

    ReplyDelete