Thursday, August 09, 2007

Commercials That Bug Me

There is a commercial out right now for Toyota that scares me. You may have seen it--it features people going about their lives while keys fall down from the sky like rain. Not a drizzle, either, but a downpour. Why are the people in the ad not screaming, tearing their eyeballs out, and running for cover? That's what I would do.

There was another one a while back; I think it was for credit cards or something. It involved little pairs of scissors scuttling around, jumping up and cutting people's credit cards in half. People were tossing them cards like they were ducks begging for breadcrumbs. Nobody could get over how cute the little scissors were. Let me tell you--if animate scissors were jumping around and begging me for plastic, I would crap myself. Without doubt.

Sometimes, things that are supposed to just get me to buy stuff really freaks me out.

By the way, I am so sick of the stupid Bush's Baked Beans commercials with the stupid dog I could just barf. Don't they get that it isn't funny? Nobody is watching TV, saying, "Hey, there's that stupid dog that was mildly amusing 6 years ago. I think I'll buy some beans." This campaign has gone on long enough. Even Arby's eventually gave up on the oven mitt thing. Bush's could take a lesson from them on dumping a horrible and unfunny mascot.

On the other hand, I am still getting a kick out of the Geiko cavemen. Good job, cavemen.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:10 PM

    good thing you like the cavemen. they're getting a show. http://www.tv.com/cavemen/show/70302/summary.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toyota ads are almost all lame. The guy with the bad hair and nerdy glasses who asks wher to find the nearest Toyota dealer while pointing at the Toyota URL on his own T-shirt -- it wasn't especially funny the first time. The 457th time, nobody's even paying attention anymore.

    Or the "Toyatothon!" ads that repeatedly claim that the deals have never been better! but the special Toyotathon! prices won't last long so hurry!. Well, BS. Toyotathons happen over and over all year long. Even the dumb guy in the tee-shirt knows this.

    ReplyDelete