Tuesday, September 18, 2007

TV and Food

Sitcoms
It astounds me how many truly awful, awful sitcoms are in syndication much of the day. I can't believe America has reached a point in which Two and a Half Men is syndicated. Oh wait. I do believe it. It just makes me appalled. People like this show. People watch this show. There is no hope.

But Two and a Half Men is only the unfunniest of the awful sitcoms. Flip the channels, and you'll see According to Jim or King of Queens. I recently got visibly angry at Everybody Loves Raymond: I just couldn't fathom that after Robert was caught smoking, some writer, somewhere, thought it was not only funny, but funny enough to put on TV, and funny enough to get a laugh out of the studio audience, if Raymond called him Puff the Magic Dragon.

Good sitcoms like Seinfeld, Arrested Development, The Office, The Simpsons, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and much of the stuff Britain gives us have raised my expectations. I can't stand all the inane schlub that's on TV. After flipping around and seeing things like Malcolm in the Middle and That 70s Show on TV, even a show like Friends can get out loud laughter out of me (occasionally. very occasionally).

But some syndicated sitcoms don't achieve the level of art as Seinfeld does, but remain watchable. Frazier. Scrubs. But most of what we see is atrociously unfunny, uninspired, unoriginal, uncreative, and ungood.

(note: I'm a TV snob, strong on my own tastes, and I don't mean to offend you if you like some of these shows. Except Two and a Half Men. That show is just bad).

Sorry, 10:00 Local News
Yep, this blog is devoted in part to local TV news. But now The Simpsons is on at 10:00. I've been waiting for The Simpsons to be back on after 10:00 for a long time. That's the time I want to unwind with the show. It doesn't work to put a DVD in: that feels like doing something. It's nice to unwind with the show just on TV.

Cotton Candy Blizzard
Today I experienced it. Once it touched my tongue, I marvelled that God had placed me in a time and a place where such sensual pleasures are possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment