Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Things the media thinks I care about: another state's governor

Here's a quick quiz:

Which of the following is relevant to you:
a) a political scandal for a governor of a state you don't live or work in
b) the shenanigans of Britney Spears
c) The rate at which different shirts deposit lint in your belly button at different rates

The answer is c), and yes I equate a scandal for a governor of a state I don't live or work in with the shenanigans of a Hollywood celebrity that also doesn't matter. It's not that I'm not interested in another state governor's policies; it's just that another state's governor's political scandal just shouldn't matter terribly to people outside of that state. It doesn't matter and it's not that interesting; it's just another story that people talk about on TV, radio, internet, and newspapers.

Of course, the national media thinks I should care about it. Even the local Twin Cities media thinks I should care about it. But I know that it is irrelevant and uninteresting. If our governor is ever involved in political scandal, I'll certainly pay attention, but I won't expect anybody that doesn't live or work in my state to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment