Saturday, December 16, 2006

Sven Faux Pas?

There's one reason in particular this site isn't called "We Like Sven Sundgaard": we firmly believe that Sven should never be given a mike, with an audience or interviewee, and be left to ad lib as he sees fit. He is TERRIBLE at this. The state fair interviews were an exercise in inanity. He's just not good at it. Read the planned out weather report? He can handle it. Speaking extemporaneously? Not a high point.

Sven hit his nadir on Friday evening, when he was interviewing a black marine talking about Toys for Tots (the color will come up in a moment).

The marine talked a bit, then said, "We really need toys right now for 10 year olds, boys and girls." Sven's response: "Excellent!"

Now, why it is excellent that more toys are needed for 10 year old boys and girls is beyond me. But that was not the faux pas.

After the marine was done talking, Sven said, "I think you're one of the better spoken ones we've had on here."

I shuddered and stared in awe.

I don't think Sven knows that there's in implicit insult in telling a black person, "You're so well-spoken," with its implicit tone of suprise ("You're so much better spoken than the rest of them"). To explicitly note that a black man is "well-spoken" can be indicative of surprise, as if one expects the black man not to be well-spoken.

Well, let's give Sven the benefit of the doubt that he didn't know that, didn't intend that, and would have said the same thing if the marine were white. After all, TV personalities do encounter a lot of shy rubes that don't really know how to talk coherently on camera. Let's assume that when he says this person is more well-spoken than most of the others, he's not referring to a black man, and not referring to a marine, but more generally to any of average rubes that Kare 11 personalities have been forced to talk to on camera.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. That is bad. Very Bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On further reflection (twelve seconds), I've got to think he didn't mean it regarding the guy being black. Sverre has a black girlfriend (per a Sven blogpost), Sven prefers Asian men (word on the street), and I just think that, for all the lack of cultural diversity a Norwegian-American growing up in Cottage Grove may have experienced in his formative years, that he's relatively seasoned and certainly that he is as firmly adept in pretending to pretend that skin color doesn't exist as any other liberal white Minnesotan.

    I think he meant "marine," if he meant anything by his nervous comment, or just as likely: random person I have to talk to and pretend to be interested in on air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree--I don't think he meant anything about race. My guess at the thought process: "Here's another mumbling rube I have to interview. What, I could understand his words!"

    I was just amused, and anytime something Sven does amuses me, I figure I'd better write about it here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weirdly, the photo of Sverre's girlfriend from the marathon post seems to have disappeared. Perhaps I imagined it, but I don't think so.

    I hadn't looked at his blog in a while. I quite like that his family calls his sister's boyfriend "Patricka"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weirdly, the photo of Sverre's girlfriend from the marathon post seems to have disappeared. Perhaps I imagined it, but I don't think so.

    I hadn't looked at his blog in a while. I quite like that his family calls his sister's boyfriend "Patricka"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weirdly (not!) Blogspot is buggy and I didn't know my comment posted twice, let alone once.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:53 PM

    I always used to study article in news papers but now as
    I am a user of internet so from now I am using net for content, thanks to web.


    Here is my homepage acoustic guitar chord

    ReplyDelete