Friday, March 13, 2009

Being Bourgeoisie

Perhaps in college I could smirk at various excesses of American consumer life and say "Ah, that's so bourgeoisie."  But as the skinhead in Tony Harrison's poem "v." writes, "now yer live wi' all yer once detested..."  Now I'm constantly doing things that make me say, "Gosh, this is so bourgeoisie."

My regular coffee order?  An iced soy latte.  Is there anything in the history of civilization as bourgeoisie as an ICED SOY LATTE?

And as I take my pet POODLE for a walk (yes, a lapdog), and she finds it right and salutary to poop onto the sidewalk, I bend down with a plastic bag and pick it up.  That isn't quite as bourgeois as an iced soy latte, but still makes me want to call myself a pig.

1 comment:

  1. Haha I completely know where you're coming from.

    ReplyDelete