Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Public Restroom Policy

I detest some public restroom garbage cans. Do you know the trash bins that have a lid you have to push, and as soon as you let go, it springs back? This is the stupidest garbage can in the history of the world. So I either need to use my newly washed hand to push open a garbage lid that has been touched by who knows what and whom, or I need to use the paper towel to push it open, trying to let the towel drop into the trash before the lid springs shut (and it springs shut at super-alien-speed). If it doesn't work and falls on the floor, I get another paper towel and pick it up to try again, feeling bad about leaving trash on the floor of a public restroom.

No more. From now on if I'm forced to use a paper towel, and the spring-lid springs shut, pushing the paper towel to the floor, I'm leaving it there. It is a stupid garbage can, and it is a stupid decision to use them in public restrooms. Certainly, the poor employee who must clean up the restroom mess didn't make the decision on the stupid garbage can, but then that employee is probably forced to clean up messier problems than some used paper towels that didn't make their way into the trash bin.

There are many problems with public restrooms (I, for one, would like to get out of any public restroom without touching anything after I've washed my hands, but it is a rare bathroom that allows this easily). Spring-back lids on trash cans compound an already delicate situation into a misery.

No comments:

Post a Comment