Thursday, January 04, 2007

Watch Out, World

It is no secret that PV/VV and I are frugal people. I have always been sort of cheap (at least with what I spend on myself), and it has only gotten more extreme since we got together. However, I think there is a change coming on. Watch out world--I am going to be spending lots of money on Baby Viking.

I assume this is true, anyway. Baby Viking will wear generic clothing and diapers, hopefully that we will have received as gifts (hint, hint). But so far, I have a small obsession on making sure the baby gets what is rightly his or hers. For example, the baby got a bunch of finger puppets from some friends of ours at a shower. They are really cute and fun. For that reason, our cat decided to take them as her own. This did NOT make me happy. I hunted all over the house to find the stolen finger puppets, one of which she had gotten all crusty by sucking on its tail (its a monkey). And I am not satisfied yet, because I don't remember how many there were to begin with. There could be more lurking in the depths of the basement, under the cot upstairs, or God only knows where else. Damn cat. Those were for the baby.

I also regularly accuse PV/VV of taking the baby's money. The baby got some giftcards for Christmas and the shower, and I am pretty adamant that those same giftcards get spent on the baby and nothing else. As PV/VV pointed out to me, we are going to be dropping tons of other money on the baby, and we already have, by buying things like the crib. I know this is true. But also, we are parents. It is our job to buy the baby stuff. That doesn't mean we get to keep any gift money that rolls in for ourselves. By the way, PV/VV agrees with me, and has never attempted thievery of any kind that I know about, but I still am paranoid and accuse him on a regular basis.

Finally, there are two books I have been looking for to add to the baby's library: Feathers and Fools, and Faithful Elephants (both are wonderful, moving, anti-war books--check them out. But be prepared to cry at Faithful Elephants. If you don't you have no soul.). After searching over and over at 1/2 Price books, Borders, and Barnes and Noble, I realized I would have to get them at Amazon. That usually is a good thing, because you can get pretty good deals there. But did I go for a good deal? Not really. I ordered them both in hardcover (even though paperback was an option), and I got the New versions, not used ones in good condition. I am making myself feel better by remembering that I still paid only $14 for two books, including shipping. Also, these books are special ones. All the baby's books don't have to be so nice, but these ones are important to me. So, yeah.

The moral is: I am focused on making sure the baby lacks nothing, despite our frugal nature.

5 comments:

  1. I am speaking from experience here, and maybe others experience has been different, but the generic diapers stunk. Micah would leak out far more often and poop out the sides of the diapers. Even LUVS the lower cost "namebrands" gave us trouble in terms of leaking. Just a word of warning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty sure there are plenty of people that will be willing to spoil your baby making sure he/she has everything plus some!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up on leakage. We'll see what happens, I guess. So far, we have Huggies and Pampers, as gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have always used walmart brand diapers. They leak, but I have a hard time believing that leakage isn't common with all diapers. I mean, their kids, you're doing their laundry and cleaning them up almost constantly anyways. Also, switching brands in an effort to save money, sometimes caused diaper rash. Keep an eye out.

    I made a promise I would never feel bad about buying a book. I too buy books in hardcover. It is what it is.

    ReplyDelete