Saturday, February 17, 2007

This is news?

I have a complaint that is in no way original. I doubt anyone who reads this who has ever watched local news is going to be enlightened in any way by what I am about to write. And yet, I am writing it.

So often, as I watch local news, I stop myself and ask, "Is this news?" Sometimes, the answer is yes. I'll even say often the answer is yes. But also, often the answer is no. There are three categories I can think of that non-news stories fit into:

1. Advertisments
2. Filler
3. Stuff that doesn't matter to any of us

I notice advertisements the most, but probably because they are so blatant. The best example I can think of is Fox 9 morning news doing their American Idol recaps. They do it the day before the show is on, the day of the show, and the day after, where they let us know what we 'missed.' Now, as a sometimes American Idol fan, I don't mind that they do this, but it certainly isn't news. If it were, stations besides Fox would cover it. But it DOES bother me when stations do bits about their shows masqueraded as news when someone maybe doesn't want somthing spoiled for her. For example, I was flipping channels this week, and I saw what I think and fear was a huge Grey's Anatomy spoiler on the news on whatever channel that show is on (PV says ABC). Now, if you watched Grey's Anatomy this week and there was a big thing that happened and you know all about it, please don't comment about it and spoil it further for me. If you do, I will send you bad anger vibes in an attempt to ruin you. I am watch that show on DVD, and I am about to start season 2. So why does the news need to cover the plot points of a popular drama and pretend its news? Grrr.

Filler is pretty common, as well. I consider any human 'interest' story to be filler. All the "Bart's People" sort of crap. Who cares? Isn't there a war going on? In a 30 minute news show, there shouldn't be time for a 4 minute segment in which M. A. Rosko or someone interviews some jerk who knits sweaters for local sick dogs. Enough said.

Finally, crap nobody is affected by. Is there a reason for around the clock coverage about Anna Nicole's estate? It is interesting, and people are curious, but it isn't news, it's gossip. And that is why we have shows like Entertainment Tonight. Sure, tell us about her death. That's news. But the video footage of her boyfriend and the baby and diaper changes and interviews and blah blah blah blah blah... Not news.

Ok, I feel better now that I vented about this. I am sure I am not alone in feeling this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment