Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Why don't we eat cats?

I have a modest proposal: we should start eating cats. They are cheap, there are too many of them, and there doesn't seem to be a good reason not to hunt and eat them.

If you've ever paid for a cat, you're a sucker. You KNOW there are free cats all over the place. Have you ever had a cat get pregnant? If so, you were likely in an absolute panic to get rid of those kittens. You're just giving them away, searching everywhere for people willing to take them. They're everywhere.

So why do we bother paying for food? The cheapest meat is being given away (in live animal form) all over the place. If you're a family on a budget, just go get some cats. Take the ones being given away, or pick some up from the pound (before they wold be euthanized anyway), or walk around and find some wild cats yourself.

There's no reason to have a special emotional attachment to cats. We eat other animals. I'm not sure cats are morally or emotionally superior to horses, pigs, cows, deer, or any other mammals that in our society we hunt and/or raise for food. What's the difference? If you are willing to eat a porkchop or a hamburger, you may as well eat a cat's leg.

By eating cats, we could limit the cat population, and we could feed the hungry and poor. I say, let's make it legal to hunt cats (outside of city limits, of course; we're not barbarians), and let's treat cats just like any other animals that we would use for food.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:37 PM

    I'm all for it, Mietchke is the first to go. She's big and would make for a good appetizer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so Jonathan Swift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote that before I clicked your link, for the record.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:57 PM

    I agree with the Beav. I got dibs on a leg!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd eat some cat...if I wasn't so full on muskrat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:25 PM

    Gee, this is a bit off from the regular Sven postings. However you make a good point, next time I see a cat Ill drop a brick on its head, and cook it up (hey, its the right thing to do, they have been living easy for too long now)

    ReplyDelete