Friday, June 08, 2007

Shenanigans!

Tonight's Kare 11 weather broadcast
I thought Sven's tie was way too big/wide.

When I saw the weather forecast, I said, "Uff da, I'm going to want to put in the air conditioner this weekend." Possible Flurries then berated me for using the phrase "Uff da." As a German-Scandinavian Minnesotan, I don't know how I could not use the phrase "Uff da." That's life.

My week of spending no money
Early on it was easy enough: now I look at the fridge and cupboards and despair. I've eaten all the canned green veggies, all the lettuce, all the fresh broccoli, all the apples. Now it's frozen fries and boxed pastas until Sunday night.

Since I'm not spending money, I actually haven't even entered a vehicle of any sort this week.

"No I'm sorry, it's the Moops."
If you are frugal, one way to enjoy the time is playing games. Tonight Possible Flurries and I played Book Lover's Trivial Pursuit. I almost went bonkers when the question asked which book ended Alexandre Dumas' three musketeers stories. I said The Vicomte DeBraglione, or Ten Years After (sp?). The card said The Man in the Iron Mask. Now, this is sort of true: the last three musketeers book was The Vicomte DeBraglione, but it was so long, it is often published (maybe even first published--in point of fact it was published serially first, so I'm not entirely sure how it started as an actual book) in three separate books: The Vicomte DeBraglione, The Lady De Valliere, and The Man in the Iron Mask. Frankly, I'm not sure if I've got any of the titles or facts right in this claim, as you'll see why in the next bit.

Update #1: sober PV checked his facts. Here's what Dumas' wikipedia page reads:

"The Vicomte de Bragelonne (Le Vicomte de Bragelonne, ou Dix ans plus tard, 1847): When published in English it was usually split into three parts: The Vicomte de Bragelonne, Louise de la Valliere, and The Man in the Iron Mask, of which the last part is the most known."

And the page for Vicomte de Bragelonne:

"The Vicomte of Bragelonne: Ten Years Later (Le Vicomte de Bragelonne ou Dix ans plus tard) is a novel by Alexandre Dumas, père. It is the third and last of the d'Artagnan Romances following The Three Musketeers and Twenty Years After. It appeared first in serial form between 1847 and 1850. In the English translations the 268 chapters of this large volume are usually subdivided into three, but sometimes four or even five individual books. In three-volume English editions, the three volumes are titled 'The Vicomte de Bragelonne', 'Louise de la Vallière', and 'The Man in the Iron Mask.'"

So, Book Lover's Trivial Pursuit: you have upset me. This is nearly as upsetting as when I was playing "You Don't Know Jack" (I think part 2) on the computer with Possible Flurries, and according to the game, Romeo and Juliet were not married. I'm not sure I've played the game since: what's the sense in playing a game that gets such a basic and obvious fact wrong?

Update #2: Here is the exact wording of the question:

What Alexandre Dumas novel concluded the adventures of The Three Musketeers?

So, if you were me, would you be upset if you confidently answered, "The Vicomte de Bragelonne, or, Ten Years After," only to be told the correct answer is "The Man in the Iron Mask"?

A lesson for the kids
Do you know why you store your gin in the freezer? So it doesn't melt your ice, and you don't have a watered down drink.

I'm still mad
It's been about a year and a half, and I still can't believe Diet Mountain Dew changed its flavor. It's just not fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment