Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Stock Footage

Finally, another post about TV news!

Whenever I flip channels, I catch MSNBC covering the immigration bill. While talking about the details (rarely) and politics (more often) of the possible legislation, I always see the same footage of some guys running around out in the grass. Evidently, these are illegal aliens trying to illegally cross the border. But it's always the same guys.

How useful is television news? Not very. When it provides stock footage to supplement a story (which actually never tells anything about the specific story, and provides no meaningful insight), and it provides the same stock footage again and again, you know you could just as easily get your news from a print source or the internet.

7 comments:

  1. But wouldn't you miss seeing the video of the fat people from the neck down? You can't get that on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true: I never really understood the health problems related to obesity until I saw video of overweight people from the neck down. Now it all makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:30 PM

    Jason Derusha comments on your blog and you reply with a smart ass comment. Classy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:32 PM

    How about that dude that got his leg caught in a boat propeller? During his interview with Kare11 he was acting so laid back about the whole situation, that was comedy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. anon, I thought I was playing along with Jason's facetiousness (unless he really does think I'd miss the video of fat people from the neck down?).

    Besides, it's about time we at WHMFASS get back to our roots: making smart ass comments about TV news people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you made smart ass comments about everybody! That's why I keep coming back.

    Well, that and I need to be reminded that someone else in the world is obsessed with Law and Order reruns on TNT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were playing along, and I appreciate it. SNL did a lampoon of Emmy Awards once, offering an award for outstanding achievement in stock footage. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete