Wednesday, October 17, 2007

"When you see news happen"

KSTP has this brief promo where an announcer says something to the effect of "When you see news happen, call the KSTP tip line at ###-#####."

As I see it, there are two ways to approach this request:

1. It's your interpretation of whether what you are seeing happen is news; it's up to you to decide if you are seeing news happen. So let KSTP know. "Hello, I'm seeing news happen. My cat is taking a nap on a pair of slacks I left sitting out on top of the laundry basket. Now they're going to be all hairy." Or "Hi, I'm seeing news happen. a car just drove by in front of my house." I mean, who's to say this isn't news? It's news to me.

or better yet:

2. You're watching the KSTP news on TV; technically, aren't you watching the news happen?
"Hi, I'm seeing news happen."
"Yes, sir, what exactly do you have to report?"
"I'm watching your program right now. I'm watching the news happen."
"OK, sir, and do you have any news?"
"No, you have the news. I'm just watching it happen. I thought I should let you know, since you told me to call this number when I see news happen."
"Thanks for watching sir." Click.

KSTP has a contact page which includes the following:

"To submit a story idea to one of the 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS Programs, please write a brief detailed description that includes the following: date, time, location, contact name, phone number, and address."

Can you imagine the story ideas they've received? Wouldn't it be a fun job to have access to the emails they get, and you're supposed to peruse the story ideas for worthwhile stories? I'm guessing one out of five hundred submissions is a worthwhile story idea. I can only imagine the wacko stuff they must get. That's got to be fun. They get story ideas from people seeing news happen.

1 comment:

  1. I love how KSTP--and the other stations in the Twin Cities--want us to find the news for them so they don't have to do all the work. (Heck, they probably can't given all the staff and budget cuts they've faced.)

    But I especially like scenario #2.

    ReplyDelete