Monday, October 15, 2007

WHMFASS making the world a better place: peaceful driving

When driving, it's very easy to blow up in anger at other drivers. There's a personal disconnect, allowing you to express angry words and gestures that you wouldn't could you look the driver in the face, or could the person respond (it's easier to yell at somebody who can't really hear you).

But what good does getting angry when you're driving serve? Nothing. You can yell and rant and know deep in your heart why that other driver's (probably innocent) mistake was an outrage and affront to all you hold holy. You can express anger and take negative energy with you over an event that probably affected you for a few seconds.

Or you can let it go.

When I drive, if another driver annoys me somehow, I may instinctively flare up, but I suppress it and force calm on myself. Sometimes I say "Peace" out loud. Sometimes I give a peace sign to the other driver. But I try not to swear and yell. Sometimes I still do, but I work really hard at restraining myself. No good comes from expressing indignant anger at somebody for making what was likely an inadvertent mistake.

Today I misjudged something and required a truck to slow down for a few seconds. It probably set the driver back in his day four seconds, and in his mind, I may have required him to slow down quickly in a way that was unsafe and risked accident. I don't know, but it was an honest mistake, and no damage was done.

The driver proceeded to gesticulate angrily, making angry hand gestures and shouting something (I obviously couldn't hear him). He spent more time yelling and raving than he spent being slowed down by my misjudgment. While he was looking back and gesturing and yelling something, he wasn't focused on the road and potentially created another unsafe situation.

What good did it do? As it happened, I noticed, but many drivers wouldn't. I already knew I had made a mistake (though it was minor, and was honest). The situation had passed. But here was an angry driver, yelling and ranting and gesticulating. For nothing.

So don't get angry when you drive. People will make mistakes. Many drivers immediately recognize the mistakes they made (I've made and seen many apologetic gestures). Most of the time, these mistakes don't risk an accident and are merely small, minor annoyances. There's no reason to allow anger to fill your heart. Calm yourself. Be peaceful. Smile. Recognize how insignificant the situation really was. Yep, sometimes a person's mistake can cause or come near to an accident. Those situations can lead to righteous indignation--you can be upset or frustrated. But there's no reason to let the negative energy of anger overtake you. Spread peace and tranquility.

No comments:

Post a Comment