Thursday, May 24, 2007

Cell Phones and Me

My friends and family are frequently frustrated with me. They call my cell phone and it rings and rings and rings.

It's not that I look at the phone and snub people. When I go out, I often forget my phone. When I'm in one room I often don't hear the cell phone ringing in another room.

And I don't care. I always get a chance to call back and talk to the person trying to call.

Where does this idea come from that all humans must be technologically/communicatively available 24/7? It is OK to have some solitude, some reclusiveness, some separation from the world.

I don't get my cell phone. I don't like my cell phone. People call me and I talk to them and I like that (because I do like the people that try to call me). But I think people would be happier if I drilled a hole in my head and inserted a mini-cell in there so that they could have constant access to me.

2 comments:

  1. Truth: It was easier to call you and talk to you when you had a land line that technically isn't as accesible as the mobile "cell phone"

    I for one, as your friend, don't think you need to be readily reached 24/7, but it is kind of weird that you know only have a phone that is mobile yet you are often harder to get a hold of (and this was even before Fox came along).

    Obviously I am not bent out of shape about it, but I find it weird that you are harder to reach now that you supposedly have a phone that is designed to make it easier to reach you at anytime. I personally have my cell phone purely for the fact that it is nice to have in case of emergency and now with free roaming/long distance it makes a land line obsolete. The nice thing for me is I often don't have people calling me (I think you are more popular with the incoming phone calls then I am).

    ReplyDelete
  2. One reason it's harder to get ahold of me is because I now live in a house. In an apartment, it was easy to hear the phone anywhere. Now, if I go upstairs without my phone, I'm just likely to not hear it. I'd blame the house more than the switch away from landlines.

    ReplyDelete