Tuesday, September 19, 2006

My trip out of MN

Note: Pacifist Viking has made the last 4 entries and therefore making the other contributors feel guilty. Therefore I am adding a post that really doesn't relate to Sven or living cheaply in the Twin Cities

So this past weekend I made a quick jaunt to southern Wisconsin. This was my second trip to the Madison area and I am still getting used to the area. This is Jon’s home area so he doesn’t think anything of it, so I thought maybe everyone else would find my story humorous. Actually I know (according to Pacifist Viking) I have never said anything funny in my life, therefore this probably won’t be funny, but hopefully entertaining (and you can read this for free). First of all a few terms: Pop is now soda. Really we only crossed one state, why the change? And the more time I spend with Jon the more I hear myself using this crazy term. And I also learned they don’t use hot dish, casserole instead. What is that about? ‘Tater tot hot dish’ has a much nicer ring to it than ‘tater tot casserole’ Anyway…
So my first visit to Jon’s home town about a month ago included a tour of the town. I was quite surprised to see a Pigley Wigley. Yes I have heard of this grocery chain on TV and movies, but frankly thought it was a store from the 50s and 60s that had long since moved on. Well here is was in front of me. On my second trip to this town, last Saturday I was privileged enough to make two trips to the Pigley Wigley. The first trip with Jon’s mom I just took it all in, seemed like a normal grocery store to me, nothing out of the ordinary (other than the name on the building). Then the second trip I saw something amazing. GRAB BAGS. A grocery store with grab bags. Wow, I was completely intrigued. After years of going to Crazy Dayz sales with my mom I was quite familiar with the grab bag concept. Basically the store can’t sell something so they put it in a bag with a bunch of other crap they can’t sell and use curiosity to get it out their door. But my thought was, what could I grocery store put in the grab bag, was it going to be outdated food? So after a few moments thought, I picked out a $2 grab bag at the Pigley Wigley. They also had $5 bags, but I am attempting to live cheaply.
Here it is. My two dollars paid for these two amazing items. I had to open it in the car I was so excited. First we have a Crunch candy bar with caramel. Seems good enough, although this candy bar has been discontinued. Then the prime item in the bag, the Seed Pods Sweety Pea. This includes (as written on the package) a seed pod (growing dome); sweet pea seeds, sweet pea action figure, trading card, peat pellet, and growing instructions. All for a listed price of $5.99. So the bag included product valued at about $6.70 or so which led me to a savings of $4.70. Of course the reality is I would have never bought these items on their own, so really wasted $2. But the enjoyment, that is priceless. Of course I then had to go back to Jon’s parents and explain my strange purchase, which could have been a bit embarrassing, since frankly who would actually buy a grab bag at Pigley Wigley. I think I just need to get out more.
So next time you are in the Madison, WI area make sure to check out the local Pigley Wigley, you never know what it is store for you!

(I do have a picture of my grab bag, but can't seem to add it to this post)

8 comments:

  1. It's spelled "Piggly Wiggly"?

    Was this your first time out of the state by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all in good fun. Jah is Love.

    I thought that the lack of traveling experience was the gestalt and image you were going for, so I responded in kind. I'll delete if you want.

    Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, blue viking devil, don't insult our readers--we have too few of them to turn away!

    Partly Cloudy and Pleasant has established her spelling problems quite clearly and seems rather comfortable with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually have been out of Mn quite a few times, just simply put cannot spell...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no problem with moncrief. Is jackass a bad word? I thought in modern times now it is a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also find it funny that a guy who abhors censorship wants to censor my responses so as to not offend any of his precious readers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find it funny that asking you not to insult readers is a form of censorship. Did I delete your comment? THAT would be censorship. After all, you're one of our precious readers I don't want to offend.

    ReplyDelete