Thursday, October 05, 2006

Twin Cities TV, Twin Cities Cheapness

--Two lines I loved on "The Simpsons" syndicated episodes yesterday. The episode when Homer becomes a food critic is especially funny.

"We have to stop Homer Simpson. He gave my restaurant a bad review. I had a friend put a horse head in his bed. He ate it, and gave it a bad review. True story."

"I have a saying: 'You can't teach a manitee any tricks.'"

--For some reason, those incessant ads for "Desire" and "Fashion House" are starting to intrigue me. I'm afraid someday I'll accidentally watch an episode and be hooked. I must prevent this from happening at all costs.

--For cheap good food, you can't beat the 99 cents sale for the KFC Buffalo Snacker. Even the regular $1.19 price is pretty good. It's the best idea since General Tso first whipped up his special chicken. My vegetarian wife doesn't appreciate me eating at KFC (she doesn't criticize me eating meat, but her PETA readings give her a particular distaste for KFC). I eat there anyway. I don't respect non-mammals; I feel bad about eating mammals, but figure we've beaten the non-mammals and get to eat them. Then again, we also have opposable thumbs, so maybe we should just not eat the animals with opposable thumbs. Sometimes I taunt my cat with my thumb. I make fun of her because my relatives are monkeys and her relatives are tigers. So don't eat any apes or monkeys. And if I'm not eating mammals or fish, can I call myself a vegetarian? Some vegetarians eat fish, after all. I'm not eating the fish because of the mercury. Frankly, since we've made it out of the sea and evolved lungs, I think we can eat them too. We've beaten them, too. Viva Evolution!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:40 AM

    It was pretty sweet when McDonalds had chicken nuggets for 99 cents a couple weeks ago. They don't compare to the taste of KFC's Snacker(What does?) but it was definetly a good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No offense, "Pacifist" Viking, but I find your disregard for certain animals more than others similar to a form of racism. There is no logic behind it. And I know not everyone chooses to be a vegetarian, and I respect that. But my issues with KFC are things that should bother anyone who loves (or even likes) animals, especially a person who considers him- or herself to be a non-violent person. I have copied some information from PETA's website about their Ketucky Fried Cruelty campaign so that anyone who reads this can see what I mean. Eat meat if you want to, but be aware of what horrible, torturous policies KFC practices and refuses to give up despite urging by PETA, other organizations, and outside inspectors. And know that if you buy a 99 cent Snacker, you are helping these practices happen.



    Conscious Animals Routinely Cut Open and Scalded

    "At slaughter, chickens are dumped from cages like so many rubber balls and snapped into metal shackles by their weakened and sometimes-broken legs. The workers hang chickens so quickly (assembly-line style) that birds are frequently injured. Once hung upside-down, animals’ heads are passed through an electrically charged water bath that immobilizes them but is often set below the level required to kill or render them unconscious. As a result, many conscious animals are bleeding to death, after having had their throats cut, when they enter the scalding tank, which is filled with scalding-hot water for feather removal. Shackled birds often flap about and miss both the stun bath and the automated and manual (human) neck-cutters. They are still completely conscious when they are scalded to death."


    Breeding Chickens: "Neglected Chickens"

    "The breeding animals who “supply” the billions of chickens who are killed for food each year have been called gallus neglectedus (“neglected chickens”) because their welfare is often ignored entirely. These birds suffer from many of the same conditions as other chickens—but they suffer for longer periods of time. Additionally, they are forced to endure constant hunger from food deprivation and painful mutilations, such as having their beaks seared off and their toes, spurs, and combs chopped off. Intranasal implants (plastic, stick-like objects that protrude from both sides of the face) are inserted through the nasal cavities of male birds to prevent them from reaching through the cage to eat the females’ food."


    Crippled Under Their Own Weight

    "Chickens on modern factory farms are crammed by the tens of thousands into sheds where each bird lives in a space that is smaller than a standard sheet of paper. Today, chickens’ upper-bodies grow six to seven times as fast as they did in the past. Birds are fed drugs and are genetically bred to grow so large so quickly that their legs, lungs, and hearts often can’t keep up. Many of these animals, whose lives are miserable from birth, suffer lung collapse, heart failure, and crippling leg deformities. On factory farms, cruelty is completely unregulated, and extreme abuse goes completely unnoticed, as PETA discovered when it went undercover on a turkey farm in Minnesota."



    For an interesting, scientific article titled "The Secret Lives of Chickens", visit the website listed below. It discusses the results of research that tells about chickens' abilities to learn from one another, understand cause and effect, and act as members of a social class system (hence the term pecking order), among other things. This is a reputable site with documented claims.

    http://www.goveg.com/f-hiddenliveschickens.asp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I feel terrible. Partly because I wasted money: after eating this, I can't eat any of the five banquet chicken meals I have in the freezer. I have to give them away. $5 wasted. Bleh. Sorry, chickens, I'll try not to eat you any more either (since you're all so damn smart, I assume you've got computers are are reading this blog). Bleh.

    ReplyDelete